Instructions for Spider Veins (Sclerotherapy)
Instructions Prior to Sclerotherapy
1. In order to optimize your results, we ask that you purchase compression stockings prior to your treatment and bring them with you to the appointment. We recommend compression stockings with 20-30 mm Hg compression. You can purchase quality stockings from www.brightlifedirect.com. These generally cost $10-$50. You may also purchase stockings locally from the Medical Arts Pharmacy or Price Rite. Pantyhose style (waist-highs) work the best. Thigh highs are available but beware that, while they are cooler, they have a tendency to sag.
2. You should not have a tan at the time of your treatment. Avoid sun exposure on the legs for 1 month prior to your sclerotherapy treatment.
3. Do no use moisturizers on the day of your treatment.
4. You may be most comfortable wearing shorts or a skirt for the treatment.
5. Your legs will be bandaged with cotton balls and an adhesive compression tape for the first 24 hours. Please let us know if you have allergic or sensitives to either adhesives or latex.
Instructions Following Sclerotherapy
1. Proper bandages following sclerotherapy is critical for the success of the procedure. Leave the cotton balls, compression bandages, and compression stockings in place for 24 hours. After 24 hours, remove the compression tape and cotton balls. You may find it easier to remove the compression tape after soaking in a warm bath or shower. Put the compression stockings back on after the bandages are removed.
2. Compression stockings should be worn at all times until bedtime for 14 days. It is not necessary to sleep with your stockings on. Remove them prior to bathing.
3. Bruising and discoloration are common after sclerotherapy. These issues will resolve over a number of weeks. It is very important to avoid sun exposure to the treatment areas after sclerotherapy. Sun exposure can cause hyperpigmentation (skin darkening) in treated areas. Wear protective clothing and a broad-spectrum sun block for at least 1 month after the treatment.
4. Exercise following sclerotherapy is okay. Avoid strenuous, high-impact activities for one week after the treatment.
5. Avoid excessively hot baths, showers, or hot tubs for one week after the treatment.
6. Occasionally, when treating larger vessels, a small cloth or "knot" may develop. If this happens, we would like for you to call us. Sometimes we do a simple extraction of this clot or may opt to let id dissolve on its own.
7. Pain after sclerotherapy is usually minimal and goes away after 1-2 days. If you experience discomfort, you may take a Tylenol or Extra-Strength Tylenol. If you experience significant pain, redness, swelling, crusting, or bleeding, call our office immediately.