Planning for Surgery
Newport Beach Plastic Surgery Planning & Recovery Information
An informed patient is a happy patient. The information contained in this pre-operative packet is provided to help guide you through the surgical and recovery process.
A successful surgical outcome is a collaborative effort between you, Dr. Afifi and her staff. Preparing for outpatient surgery goes beyond following your surgeon’s pre-operative instructions. The success of your surgery and recovery depends, to a certain degree, on how well you plan for surgery and your recuperation.
Leading up to your surgery, take good care of yourself. Get adequate rest and eat healthy. Contact your doctor if you develop a sore throat, cold or infection. Discontinue all vitamins, herbal products, aspirin and ibuprofen.
Patient confidentiality is extremely important to us. Information is not released to anyone without your written permission. With this in mind, prepare a list of people to whom you would like us to contact regarding your progress. The surgery facility will ask for emergency contact information.
Support from family and friends are very important, but because they may not understand your decision to have cosmetic surgery, or what constitutes a normal recovery, their comments may unintentionally create emotional turmoil for you. Prepare your family and friends about what to expect after your surgery. Dr. Afifi and her staff can help you with this.
Despite the fact that complications are very unusual they can occur. Surgery of any kind carries with it certain risks and healing is never completely predictable. Should the unexpected occur, your trust in Dr. Afifi’s skill, knowledge, experience and compassionate care will support you through any difficulties and assist you in reaching your goal.
Finally, communication with Dr. Afifi and her staff, following instructions and keeping your post-operative appointments is crucial to the healing process.
We ask you to read this entire pre-operative packet thoroughly and encourage your questions. Please feel free to call anytime.
We thank you for choosing us “to help you achieve not only the look you desire, but also the feeling that comes from knowing you look your best”.
Ghada Y. Afifi MD, FACS and Staff
Preparing For Surgery
STARTING NOW (2 weeks prior to surgery):
• STOP SMOKING: Smoking reduces circulation to the skin and impedes healing. Better to stop 1 month prior!
• DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN, IBUPROFEN CONTAINING PRODUCTS: Stop taking medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen. Carefully review the list of drugs to avoid before surgery. Such drugs can cause bleeding problems during and after surgery. Instead, use medications containing acetaminophen (such as Tylenol). Please let Dr. Afifi know ALL your medications before surgery including homeopathic or energy - drinks (some have blood thinning ingredients which would be harmful for surgery).
• FILL YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS: You will be given prescriptions for medications. Please have them filled after your preoperative appointment, BEFORE the day of surgery and bring them with you.
OBTAIN APPROPRIATE GARMENTS BEFORE SURGERY AND REVIEW AT PREOP APPOINTMENT:
Breast surgery: front closure athletic bra (office supplies some - $25), or if directed underwire bra.
Liposuction: abdomen and flanks - binder (office has for $ 45) or buy garment
Liposuction thighs, knees - get garment from high waist to ankles
Liposuction upper arms - get garment for arms
GARMENT SOURCES: Sports Chalet, Target, Walmart, Nordstroms, Macy's, Burlington Factory, JC Penney, Athletica
GARMENT WEBSITES: leonisa.com, slimme.com, Amazon.com (look up Biotherapy compression garmets), marenagroup.com, Flex Support (fstubbs.com)
• TRANSPORTATION: Arrange for transportation to and from the surgical facility. Arrange for transportation for your post-operative appointment also.The surgery center does charge extra if caregivers are late picking up patients (recovery time is for 2 hours).
• AFTERCARE: We require a caretaker to stay with you for the first 24 hours following surgery. If you choose to go to an aftercare facility, they will provide transportation. Please do NOT drive more than 30 minutes to your recovery area / home. There are hotels we can recommend so that you can see Dr. Afifi the next day, allowing better and safer recovery.
• ILLNESS: If you develop any signs of a cold, cough, cold sores, or infection please notify the office immediately.
THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY
• CONFIRM SURGERY TIME:
Call the office (949-767-7444 for Newport Beach or 714-973-9197 for Santa Ana) to confirm your arrival time for surgery. Expect a call from the Surgery Center the day before surgery - if you do not receive a call by 3 pm or have any questions, please call our office the afternoon before surgery.
Cleanse the surgical areas with Betadine (Povidine) or anti-bacterial soap or solution the night before surgery. Facial surgery patients should shampoo their hair with Betadine.
• EATING AND DRINKING:
Do not eat or drink (including water) anything after 12:00 midnight. This includes any medications you are currently taking unless instructed to do otherwise by the doctor or anesthetist.
THE MORNING OF SURGERY
• EATING AND DRINKING: Do not eat or drink anything (including water)!
• MEDICATIONS: Bring your medications for surgery with you. (Also any medications you take daily)
• EXERCISE: Do not exercise the morning of surgery.
• ORAL HYGIENE: You may brush your teeth but do not swallow any water. Do not chew gum.
• CLEANSING: Cleanse the surgical areas again with Betadine or antibacterial soap.
• MAKE-UP: Do not wear make-up, creams or lotions.
• CONTACT LENS: Do not wear contacts to the surgery facility.
• CLOTHING: Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that does not go over your head (ex. button down shirts). Wear flat heeled shoes. Bring a pair of socks to keep your feet warm. Facial patients bring a scarf or big hat for your privacy. Remove hairpins, wigs and hair-pieces.
• JEWELRY: Remove all jewelry (including earrings). Do not bring valuables or cash with you.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET US KNOW OF ANY QUESTIONS AS WE ARE HERE TO HELP OUR PATIENTS RECOVER WONDERFULLY!!
click here to print