According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 10 percent of US cosmetic surgeries are done on men. Just like women, men do not want to look out of shape, tired, or old. With changing cultural norms, there is an increased trend of men seeking out top plastic surgeons for cosmetic procedures. Quite often they want to look as good as their wives who have had work done, with aptly re-named procedures like XeoMan and Brotox, or a Daddy Do-Over. Fueled by today’s competitive job market and the abundance of social media selfies, more men are opting for cosmetic procedures to rejuvenate their looks.
Which Cosmetic Procedures Do Men Seek?
Youthfulness and body image are two driving forces behind men choosing plastic surgery. From Botox injections to facelifts, men are showing an increased interest in a variety of cosmetic services. Just like women, though, men should be diligent about finding the right surgeon to ensure the safety of these popular procedures.
- Liposuction - As you age, fat can accumulate around the abdomen, breast area, chin, and neck. Many men seek liposuction to correct these problem areas, in addition to targeted areas that are resistant to exercise and diet, like that stubborn “spare tire” around the waist. Liposuction is even more effective for men than for women because their skin is more elastic, and the areas beneath the fat tend to be more vascular. Abdominal etching is a fairly new and highly requested technique that creates a rippled, muscular appearance in the stomach area.
- Tummy Tuck – If liposuction alone is not effective, or for men who have lost a lot of weight, a full abdomen reduction (tummy tuck) is a popular treatment. A tummy tuck can help tighten and tone the midsection, and recent advancements in the field allow surgeons to improve muscle contours with implants and other sculpting methods.
- Eye-Lift Surgery – Bulging fat pads below the eyelids, brows that hang over the upper eye, and loose or furrowed skin can make you look tired and older than you are. Removing excess fat and re-positioning tissue can rejuvenate the lower lids, and skin and muscle tightening procedures can provide a fresh, vibrant appearance to the eyes.
- Rhinoplasty – Nose surgery is also highly popular with women but requires a much different approach for men. The techniques used to create a petite and balanced look for women are much different than those needed to produce the more masculine refined look for men. In many cases, a chin augmentation is also performed to achieve more harmonious facial proportions.
- Facelift - Whether the man wants a stronger jawline or more prominent cheekbones, men are joining women in seeking a more youthful appearance through surgery. Implants or re-positioning the bone can create a sculpted jaw that projects strength.
- Gynecomastia Surgery – Chest contouring continues to be the most common procedure for men. The treatment involves the removal of fatty tissue and breast tissue, and sometimes a skin reduction. Another option is to have pectoral implants, but this is a more expensive and more invasive procedure that requires a short hospital stay.
Non-Surgical Treatments for Men
- Hair Replacement and alternatives - Men now have options when it comes to resolving baldness. From hair transplant to flap surgery or scalp reduction, there are hair treatments to fit various hair loss needs.
- Botox - Men appreciate the effects of the injections as not only can they help with facial wrinkles, but it can also be used to help stop excessive sweating problems. Men like Botox for the same reason women do; it is a relatively painless procedure that is surprisingly affordable, especially compared to surgical options.
- Refinishing treatment - Chemical peels and dermabrasion procedures help men who have acne scars, age spots, and other skin surface concerns. While some men can hide these flaws under a full beard, others are now seeking medical intervention.
Schedule An In-Person Consultation with a Professional
The pressure to be physically appealing and competitive job markets can lead many older men to consider cosmetic treatments. If you are considering altering your appearance, be sure to get all the facts and see a reputable professional. Schedule a consultation with Ghada Y. Afifi, MD, today to discuss your cosmetic surgical or non-surgical options.