Men choose cosmetic plastic surgery or various non-surgical treatments for many reasons. Often, the motivations are personal or, sometimes even necessary for reconstructive purposes. Some want to remove excess skin while others desire a trimmer waistline or to erase the signs of aging.
The most important thing to remember is to do what makes you feel comfortable and confident. Continue reading below to discover popular procedures for men.
5 Reasons Why Men Choose Cosmetic Surgery
- Improve Competitive Edge in the Job Market - Many men believe looking young, fit, and masculine can help them move up the corporate ladder. Men often choose cosmetic surgery for job-related reasons.
- Achieve A Younger Looking Appearance - Men often seek cosmetic plastic surgery to appear more attractive to romantic partners. Recently undergoing a divorce, breakup, or death of a spouse can also motivate men to enhance their physical appearance.
- Preserve Naturally Attractive Features - Male individuals with attractive features typically want to do all they can to help preserve these qualities. Common procedures include those designed to prevent and reverse signs of aging. These treatments can be incredibly popular with men working in the modeling or acting industry.
- Eliminate Insecurities - Men can feel insecure about their body or facial appearance for many reasons. Not all of these are due to vanity or social media. Physical or aesthetic concerns could be the result of genetic factors or the result of an accident. Plastic surgery treatments can drastically improve self-confidence and help promote a healthier mind and body.
- Encouragement from a Significant Others or Spouse - Seeing the results from a partner's recent procedure first-hand can be very motivating. With first-hand knowledge of the experience, you understand the pre- and post-surgical process better, helping you know what to expect.
Popular Cosmetic Surgery Procedures for Men
A handful of plastic surgery treatments have been favorable with men over the years. The following are some procedures that continue to grow in popularity:
Sometimes, exercise and diet alone aren't enough to eliminate persistent body fat, love handles, or help define the stomach muscles. Liposuction can effectively remove difficult body fat by reshaping and slimming down stubborn fat deposits. This procedure also targets cellulite in the thighs and abdomen areas.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery for Gynecomastia
Gynecomastia is a condition involving enlarged breast glands in men. It can affect male individuals of any age and size. Gynecomastia is not caused by being overweight. It is a condition caused by additional breast tissue.
Reduction surgery effectively removes excess fat and skin in the breast area. This procedure is also beneficial for improving the shape and size of the nipple, which can sag or stretch due to the excess tissue.
Men that are generally happy with their face but unhappy with their nose often choose rhinoplasty. This surgical procedure involves augmenting and reshaping the nose to better balance the face. Treatment is carefully designed to improve the proportions of the nose without making it look feminine.
Chin augmentations are a popular procedure for several reasons. They can buildup structure to promote a firmer, more masculine-looking appearance. This procedure can also redefine and lessen a protruding chin. It can even be used to restructure the chin area after an accident. Chin augmentations are done by adding bone or implants to reshape the area.
What Non-Surgical Cosmetic Options Men Are Choosing?
As modern cosmetic procedures advance, men are opting for non-invasive treatments as well. A few include, but are not limited to:
BOTOX ® Treatments
BOTOX is a minimally invasive procedure that involves injecting a neurotoxic protein into specific areas of the face. The mixture relaxes the facial muscles, helping minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Common areas for getting Botox include the corners of the eyes, between the eyebrows, the forehead, and around the mouth. Botox is also often used to help treat neck spasms, migraines, lazy eyes, and excessive sweating.
Injectable fillers are highly customizable to help men improve facial features, and much more. Cosmetic surgeons can smooth out wrinkles, fill in and reduce noticeable acne scars, contour the nose, jawline, and other facial features using fillers. These treatments can provide many benefits, often producing results in minutes, with little to no downtime.
Are you one of many men interested in cosmetic plastic surgery? If you live or work in Newport Beach, take the first step by contacting Ghada Y. Afifi MD, FACS. Our highly skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon can help you determine the best treatment options for your needs!